Nova Scotia Carriage & Motor Car
In 1868, the Company had it's beginning in manufacturing horse drawn carriages.
Two of the first Nova Scotians to own automobiles, A.L. Pelton & Dan MacKay were also the two men behind the manufacture of Nova Scotia's first automobiles, conceived in 1908 and with first production in 1910.
Although grand plans existed for the manufacture of motor cars in Nova Scotia at the turn of the 20th Century, these plans were short lived.
Originally located in Kentville, the motor works designed and built luxury vehicles to compete with the early Ford models. Significant capital was raised to foster this start-up and a massive factory was built in Amherst to produce motor cars & carriages. The Amherst plant had a throughput of 5,000 carriages per year - enough to satisfy nearly half the requirements of the Maritime provinces at the time.
In 1914, a reorganization of the Company occurred and they went back to their roots of carriage manufacturing after producing just 200 motor cars.
Despite this re-organization and a return to it's roots, Nova Scotia Carriages ceased operations in 1917.
A restored model of one of the original MacKay Motor Cars is on permanent display at the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry in Stellarton, NS.