Blenkhorn Axe Factory
James Blenkhorn was a prominent merchant in Canning, NS in the mid 1800's. In addition, he was a blacksmith who made double bitted axes, first by hand and later in a factory across the street from his home in Canning.
The famous Blenkhorn Axes were long synonymous with Canning.
In 1883, the factory was producing and shipping 100 axe heads per day and employed fourteen people.
The factory operated from 1859 - 1962 and in 1968, after production had ceased, the old axe factory was demolished.